Copenhagen Airport (CPH)
History, Facts and Overview
One of the earliest private airports to ever be built, Copenhagen Airport dates back to 1925, when it featured a simple grass runway strip. In less than ten years, the airport had gained much notoriety in Denmark and was handling almost 10,000 flights each year, meaning that a new terminal building was required. Shortly afterwards, a new runway was added with a hardwearing surface.
By the mid-1950s, Copenhagen Airport had became a major part of the local tourism industry, winning awards and serving more than one million passengers, doubling its capacity in just four years. At this time a second terminal and new control tower were built, with a third terminal added in 1998. Further improvements have been made in subsequent years, including the arrival of a train line, connecting Copenhagen Airport with the city centre and nearby Malmo, located to the east, in Sweden.
Besides many cafés, bars, restaurants, duty-free shopping opportunities and relaxing waiting areas, there are also self-service Internet kiosks, ATMs, bureaux de change and banking facilities, and a prayer room located at Terminal 2.
Copenhagen Airport offers extensive conferencing facilities at Terminal 3, including 14 executive conference suites, a VIP reception room and nine smaller meeting rooms. Certain airlines arriving at Copenhagen provide for business needs, with their own executive lounges located at Terminals 2 and 3.